A SPLIT SECOND DECISION CAN CAUSE A LIFE-LONG INJURY
Every day in Australia someone’s life changes in an instant due to a spinal cord injury.
Your spinal cord is like a fibre-optic cable that carries messages from your brain around your body. It has the consistency and fragility of toothpaste, and as soon as it’s damaged it cannot be repaired.
Road trauma, water-related accidents, falls/crushes, and incidents involving sporting/leisure activities are the main causes of spinal cord injury; resulting in quadriplegia or paraplegia depending on where in the body your spinal cord is damaged.
During Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Week (November 9 – 15) and beyond I urge you to consider the consequences of potentially dangerous behaviour. Texting while driving, diving into water without first checking the depth or using a ladder on an unsteady surface are all recipes for potential spinal cord injuries.
Please don’t let a split-second decision change your life forever. Click here to read more.
DISCOVERING HOW NDIS AND PARAQUAD WORKS WITH YOU
In NSW, the first stage of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) has been launched in the Hunter. Servicing the Hunter region for over 40 years, ParaQuad NSW is an experienced registered provider to support you with National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
Who will be eligible for support in the first stage locations of an NDIS?
When fully implemented, the NDIS will provide support to people who have a permanent and significant disability, which affects their ability to participate in the community or employment and requires care and support.
If you are a person with a disability and you meet the access requirements you can become a participant in the scheme. As a participant, you will be able to access NDIS individualised planning processes to identify the reasonable and necessary supports you need to enable you to achieve your goals. To get an idea about whether you meet the access requirements, you can use the My Access Checker which is available at www.disabilitycareaustralia.gov.au/my-access-checker. The tool is anonymous and will determine if you can access assistance from NDIS.
How can ParaQuad NSW assist me?
ParaQuad NSW is a registered NDIS provider in New South Wales that supports the following classes of support:
• Accommodation/tenancy assistance
• Assistance with daily personal activities and household tasks
• Assistive equipment for leisure, recreation, general tasks and demands
• Assistive products for household tasks
• Assistive technology specialist assessment, set up and training
• Participation in community, social and civic activities
• Specialised assessment of skills, abilities and needs
• Managing life stages, transitions and supports
• Assistive products for personal care and safety
• Development of daily living and life skills
• Management of funding for support under a participants plan
• Physical wellbeing activities
• Training for independence in travel and transport
Where can I find more information about the first stage?
Phone: 1800 800 110 Skype: 1800 800 110 FREE 8am-8pm (EST) weekdays