Why donate to ParaQuad NSW
A spinal cord injury can happen in the blink of an eye…to any, resulting in ongoing care costing between $200,000 to $300,000 each year. This is an approximate cost for the average quadriplegic person in Australia.
There are 350 – 400 new injuries each year, that is nearly one injury every day in Australia. There are close to 10,000 Australians who are living with a SCI and whose long term care costs about $5 to $9.5 million a year, 40% of these costs are borne by the individual.
ParaQuad NSW exists to help those whose lives have been changed forever by a spinal cord injury (SCI).
Donations; in kind, cash or time allows ParaQuad NSW to offer specialist services and clinical support to those affected by SCI including their family.
We gratefully acknowledge the support of our sponsors, partners and individuals who donate to this worthy cause. Thank you to everyone who has assisted us to achieve our mission in supporting people with a spinal cord injury to achieve their choices in life.
All donations $2 and over are 100% tax deductible.
Why is your donation so important?
After discharge from a spinal rehabilitation unit, a person with a spinal cord injury can access the government funded Spinal Outreach Service for the first 18 months only.
This is when ParaQuad NSW steps in. For over 50 years, ParaQuad NSW has been providing services to people with SCI, with little government funding.
By helping people with a SCI to be independent, the personal, social and economic benefits are significant, both to the person and the broader community.
Where your money does goes?
Funds donated to ParaQuad NSW go directly into our vital services such as:
- Providing accommodation services for people with transitional and long term care needs at Ferguson Lodge, Berala in Sydney and Cleary Court in Newcastle.
- A Primary Health Care Team of spinal nurse, social worker and occupational therapists. This service is fully self funded through generous donations.
- Information, advocacy and assistance.
- Personal Care Services which provides in- home support to people with a physical disability.
- Educational Scholarship Program for people with a spinal cord injury. Scholarships are available up to $5000 per recipient.
- Specialist Health Care Products such as continence, wound care , skin care and mobility aids.
- Training, Education and community awareness programs.
- ParaQuad Client Education Support and Tools: a training mannequin for carers costs $10,000 and a specially modified exercise unit costs $10,000.
- In 2012, we are also raising money for a new modified wheelchair accessible bus for Ferguson Lodge.
Costs to think about
If you have a spinal cord injury, additional costs need to be considered such as:
- Cost of a wheelchair – Wheelchairs are modified to suit individuals and can cost the same amount as a car.
- Car modifications – Can cost $8,000 plus.
- Special equipment such as ventilators, lifting machines, special bedding.
- Continence care.
- Wound Care – management of pressure areas is $80,000 per patient per year.
- Transport – An average wheelchair accessible taxi fare is over $80.