Did you know over 42,000 people in Australia have a stoma at any given time? A stoma is an artificial opening in the body created as an alternative exit for body wastes (eg faeces or urine)
A percentage of those people are those with spinal cord injury due to bowel issues. Having a stoma though shouldn’t stop you from enjoying a normal life. Being in regular contact with a Stomal Therapy Nurse (STN) can make a world of difference in managing and maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Expert care and advice to patients, carers, nurses and medical staff on all aspects of stoma and fistula management
- Pre-operative and post-operative counselling for patients with a stoma
- Ongoing long term education and review
- Assistance and support for patients that have long term drain tubes / fistulae
- Expert advice on acute or chronic wound management
- Advice on continence issues
- Advice on bowel health
Looking to find a Stomal Therapy Nurse? You can find a listing of STNs around Australia by visiting www.stomaltherapy.com or simply contact ParaQuad NSW and we can help you get in touch with one.
For more information, download the Stomal Therapy Nursing brochure