Do you need an extra pair of eyes and legs?
A number of organisations support, train and provide assistance dogs:
- Assistance Dogs Australia www.assistancedogs.org.au.
- Australian Support Dogs, Inc. www.asdog.org.au.
- Canine Helpers for the Disabled, Inc. www.caninehelpers.org.au.
- Association of Australian Assistance Dogs (NQ), Inc. www.asdogsnq.org.
Chat Facilities, Bulletin Boards and General Information for People with Disabilities
- D-ability www.d-ability.org.
- Disability Information and Resource Centre www.dircsa.org.au.
- Journey Beyond Road Trauma www.journeybeyondroadtrauma.org/.
- Spinal Injuries Awareness Week – www.rebuildinglives.com.au.
- Spinal Injury – www.spinalinjury.net .
- Spinal Talk – Teleconference weekly chat room and face to face get togethers www.spinaltalk.com.au. Contact Robert 04331 6992.
There is help available for peole living with depression, anziety or other mood disorders. To access help, talk to your GP.
- Beyond Blue – www.beyondblue.org.au.
- Black Dog Institute – www.blackdoginstitute.org.au.
- Sane Australia – www.sane.org.au.
- The Shed – www.theshedonline.org.au.
If you are looking for employment, these organisations help people specificially with a spinal cord injury:
- Carecareers – www.carecareers.com.au.
- Nova Employment www.novaemployment.com.au.
- Spinal Cord Injuries Australia Employment www.scia.org.au/employment.
- Fire & Rescue NSW – Fire Safety www.homefiresafetyaudit.com.au.
- NSW Rural Fire Service – www.rfs.nsw.gov.au.
Master Locksmiths Access Key
The Master Locksmiths Access Key (MLAK) is an innovative system that enables people with disabilities to gain 24/7 access to a network of public facilities. People with a disability are able to purchase an MLAK master key which will open all toilets, playgrounds and other facilities which are fitted with this specially designed lock. www.masterlocksmiths.com.au/mlak .
Physical disability organisations in NSW
- Cerebral Palsy Alliance www.cerebralpalsy.org.au.
- Multiple Sclerosis Society NSW/VIC www.msaustralia.org.au/nswvic.
- NDS (formally known as ACROD) www.nds.org.au.
- People with Disability Australia (PWD) – PWD is a national cross disability human rights and advocacy organisation, of and for people with disability. www.pwd.org.au.
- Physical Disability Council of NSW www.pdcnsw.org.au.
- Post Polio Network of NSW www.post-polionetwork.org.au.
Spinal cord injury organisations throughout Australia
- OT Australia – Australian Association of Occupational Therapists www.ausot.com.au.
- ParaQuad South Australia www.pqasa.asn.au.
- ParaQuad Tasmania www.paraquadtas.org.au.
- ParaQuad Victoria www.paraquad.asn.au.
- Spinal Cord Injuries Australia www.scia.org.au.
- Spinal Injuries Association (ParaQuad Queensland) www.spinal.com.au.
Spinal cord injury organisations around the world
- Spinal Injuries Association (United Kingdom) www.spinal.co.uk.
- National Spinal Cord Injury Association (USA) www.spinalcord.org.
- American Spinal Cord Injury Resources www.makoa.org/sci .
- American National Spinal Cord Injury Association – www.spinalcord.org.
- NSW Wheelchair Sports Association www.wsnsw.org.au.
- Sailability – Social, recreational and competitive sailing activities for anyone with a disability. www.sailability.org.
- Sailors with Disabilities www.sailorswithdisabilities.com .
- International Paralympic Committee www.paralympic.org.
- Australian Athletes with a Disability develop, administer and promote sporting opportunities for people with a disability – “Sporting opportunities for all abilities”. www.sports.org.au.
- Disabled Surfers Association of Australia – Hold regular surf days for people with any disability. www.disabledsurfers.org.
- Riding for the Disabled – www.rda.org.au.
- d-Ability – Discover life’s possibilities www.d-ability.org.