Change of Circumstances
No matter where you are in the NDIS process – whether you’ve just applied for a plan or have been on the scheme for a few years, you need to tell the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) if you have any changes in your circumstances. This can include any changes to your life which may affect:
- your access request
- your NDIS plan
- your status as a participant
For example, this can include:
- Changes to your disability support needs
- Changes to your care arrangements
- Change of address
- Plans to move overseas
If your circumstances have changed, you can let the NDIA know in several ways:
- in person at a local NDIA office
- on the phone by calling 1800 800 110
- via their email at email@example.com
- using the myPlace Participant Portal
- sending a form to “National Disability Insurance Agency, GPO Box 700, Canberra ACT 2601”
If you are unsure whether your changes require action, you can contact the NDIA through the above methods, or speak to one of our experienced support coordinators by calling our NDIS hotline on 1300 662 822.
NDIS Plan Reviews
Your needs and wants are consistently changing, so it makes sense that your NDIS plans are changing as well. Plan reviews with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) or a representative generally occur every 12 months after your initial meeting. However, if your personal circumstances change significantly before then, you may request a plan review.
Requesting an NDIS Plan Review
If you want to have your plan reviewed before the scheduled annual review, you can do so at any time by completing the “request for plan review” form. When completing the form, keep in mind that:
- If you decide you want to change your goals, you can do so at any time and does not require a review. Only when the changes affect your supports and funding is a review required.
- A request for review is unlikely to be accepted if there is no sufficient evidence of how your changes in circumstances will affect your reasonable and necessary supports.
- A request for review for increased funding without sufficient evidence will unlikely be accepted.
- A request for review will generally not be accepted within 6 months of getting your plan or 3 months before the planned review date
Below is a list of things you can expect after you have sent in the form:
- The NDIA must decide whether they will review your plan 14 days after receiving your request.
- If they decide not to conduct a review – there should be a statement of reasons for the decision.
What if I’m not happy with my plan?
If you are not happy with the supports in your plan or other decisions made by the NDIA, you can choose to apply for an internal review. This request needs to be made within 3 months after you have received a decision and the staff member who works on the internal review will not be involved in the previous decision. Here’s how to request an internal review:
- talking to someone at an NDIA office
- calling 1800 800 110
- sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- submitting a written request to:
Chief Executive Officer
National Disability Insurance Agency
GPO Box 700
Canberra ACT 2601
Do you have more questions on changed circumstances, plan reviews or internal reviews? Why not speak to one of our experienced support advisors by calling our NDIS hotline on 1300 662 822.