What is NDIS Plan Management?
When you receive your NDIS plan, it will outline the “funding” or “budget” you will receive for the services and supports you need. As an NDIS participant, you get to choose:
- How to manage your services and supports
- How to manage the money you get for the above services and supports
Registered Plan Manager
Automated Payments (Transport Only)
1. Self Managing your Budget
Self-managing your own plan and budget offers the greatest choice and control when it comes to your supports. With self-management, you can:
- purchase supports not registered with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)
- directly employ your own staff, or pay someone else to employ them on your behalf
If you do choose to self-manage, these will be your or your carer’s responsibilities:
- Choosing and arranging your own supports, including your own support workers
- Ensuring that the relevant invoices for your supports are paid on time
- Keeping appropriate records and receipts for supports provided, claimed and paid
Reporting to the NDIA on the amount used and funds spent on the self-managed items of your NDIS plan
2. Using the NDIA to Manage your Budget
You can request the National Disability Insurance Agency to manage your budgets. This option means:
- Only NDIS registered service providers will be used
- These service providers will be paid directly from the NDIS
- You still have choice and control over who your support providers are, as long as they are registered with the NDIS
3. Using a Registered Plan Management Provider
You can request an NDIS registered plan management provider to manage all your supports. These are individuals or companies who specialise in managing NDIS plans. This option means:
- you can work with your plan manager to choose and organise your supports
- the NDIS will pay your plan manager directly, who will then pay your service providers
You can receive supports from both NDIS registered and non-registered service providers
4. Automated Payments (For Transport Budgets Only)
If your plan includes funding for transport, then you can organise to set it up as an automated payment. This option means:
- The NDIS will pay you directly into your nominated bank account.
- You will be paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly depending on what you agreed on during your planning conversation.
5. Combination of the Above
You can also choose to manage your plan and funding via a range of the methods above.