Registering and First Steps
Step 1 – Check if You’re Eligible
The first step to accessing the NDIS is to find out if you’re eligible to receive funding. To become an NDIS participant, a person must:
- have a permanent disability that significantly affects their ability to take part in everyday activities
- be aged less than 65 when they first enter the NDIS
- be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent visa or a Protected Special Category visa; and
- live in Australia where the NDIS is available
If you are a person under the age of 65 with spinal cord injury, you will most likely be eligible for the NDIS. The only exception is if you:
- Receive funding from Lifetime Care & Support (icare)
- Receive funding from Worker’s Compensation
- Do not meet the above eligibility criteria
If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria or are not sure, you should call the NDIS for more information on 1800 800 110. Alternatively, if you prefer to talk to someone from ParaQuad NSW first, you can call our NDIS hotline on 1300 662 822
Step 2 - Complete Your Access Request
If you find out that you are eligible for the NDIS, you will then be prompted to complete an official access request. You can either complete this over the phone with somebody from the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) or request a physical Access Request Form to be sent out to you. Regardless of the method, a range of questions may be asked to:
- Confirm your identity and/or a person's authority to act on a your behalf
- Provide consent to enter the scheme and seek information from third parties
- Determine if you meet the NDIS access requirements (this may relate to your age, residence, and disability, etc.)
After the initial access request, some people may be asked to provide extra information about their disability and how it impacts on their daily life. For people with spinal cord injury (SCI), this additional information is not required.
Once a valid access request and all supporting information has been received and validated, a decision MUST be made within 21 days.
ParaQuad NSW can support you through the access request process if you require it, including helping you complete the form or providing additional information for the NDIA. If you have any questions, you can call our NDIS hotline on 1300 662 822
Step 3 – Develop Your First Plan
Once you are deemed eligible and accepted into the NDIS, a planning conversation will be organised between you and a National Disability Insurance Agency representative to develop your first plan. This plan is your entry point to the NDIS and outlines the reasonable and necessary supports to meet your immediate needs as well as your identified short-term and long-term goals. Your first plan will provide individualised funding that you can control and choose how to use, so it is important that you prepare for your planning conversation.
To learn more, check out our Developing Your First NDIS Plan guide or give our NDIS hotline a call on 1300 662 822